All You Need to know about iPhone 5, Apple’s 6th Gen iPhone
Yes, 6th gen, this is the 6th gen iPhone but Apple branded it as “iPhone 5″. You may have seen the official pics of Apple iPhone 5 launched this year and from all around the world, the new iPhone is getting mixed impressions. Some are liking it and some have started hating it. In this post, we will discuss some cool features of iPhone 5.
1. Bigger Screen: The first and foremost thing, the screen has been stretched. Now it’s bigger than the previous iPhones. It’s noticeable at first glance and it was, indeed, needed. The iPhone 5 screen features 4 inch LED backlit IPS display compared to 3.5 inch screens in previous iPhones.
2. New Design: Most of the rumors were true. The iPhone 5, now has metal-back and you can see some other changes in hardware design too. The auxiliary port (AUX) is now shifted to bottom and the dock connecter is now smaller, known as lightning connector. Apple states its new lightning connector as “Smaller, smarter, durable and reversible. Well the “reversible” part is interesting. You can read more about iPhone’s design at iPhone’s official page.
3. Thinner than ever: At just 7.6 mm thick), The new iPhone is thinner than Samsung’s Galaxy S3 (which, I thought, was the thinnest mobile phone). Apple recalls it as ‘thinnest mobile’ is WRONG. There is a mobile named Oppo Finder which is world’s thinnest mobile phone on date. iPhone 5 might stand at second place.
4. New Earphones: Earphones supplied with iPhone 5 are branded as earpods which are new, unique and innovative earphones we have seen so far. Somehow they stand between normal earphones and in-ear headphones. We liked the new design and name of the re-invented, re-imagined earphones.
5. Camera: I have very less to discuss about the camera in iPhone 5. Its quite similar to iPhone 4S. But has faster aperture and many more small improvements. FYI, It’s 8 MP iSight camera which can shoot Full HD videos. New features include panorama, enhanced video recording, etc.
6. A6 chip: iPhone has upgraded from A5 to A6. Apple says its performance and graphics are twice as fast compared to iPhone 4S and has improved battery life. The app launching time, wake up time and many other UI interaction time has been reduced, thanks to the all new A6 and iOS 6. (Remember “Project butter” from Google’s Android 4.1 JB keynote?)
7. 4G: Era of 4G has arrived. So the iPhone 5 now supports 4G LTE. Speed? Ultra fast.
8. Nano-Sim Support only: The iPhone 5 supports the nano sim only. At first, iPhone 4 saddened the normal sim users as they had to cut the sim before using but later on, Mobile network service providers started providing the micro-sim at ease. Now nano-sim may trouble.
9. Three Mics: iPhone 5 has three microphones. One at bottom, one at top and one between the camera and LED flash. Which supports Active noise cancellation with dedicated dual mics.
10. Battery Life: Battery life has been improved due to the new A6 chip. The battery back up time details are as below:
- 3G, LTE browsing – 8 hours
- WiFi browsing and video playback – 10 hours
- Music playback – 40 hours
- Standby time – 225 hours
Quite impressive, but not better than Samsung Galaxy S3.
Don’t forget to check out: